November 28, 2015 at 5:39 am #3517
Hi, Love the TB2. Already got a lot of great sounds going on it, but I have a few suggestions to make it even better.
More modulation sources! Seems like there would be enough memory to add an LFO and ADSR per voice. Also an adjustable delay on the adsr trigger and lfo would be good (selectable with arrow/enter), so you could have one lfo come in half a second after triggered etc. Also have the sequencer send out modulation values to modulate amplitude and filter! (Might be overkill)
Cross Modulation/FM of the oscillators: Not sure if this would be possible to do, but have one oscillator modulate the pitch of the other. If this isn’t possible, then you could do Amplitude modulation between the two. Some of my favourite synth sounds come from Sync and FM, so this would really be a bonus.
Also, a hardware gate out (just a digital pin pulled high when a note is played) would increase the possibility of interfacing with external adsrs/VCFs etc. This might just be a personal thing, as I have external filters and ADSR’s just itching to be used with this thing.November 28, 2015 at 5:45 am #3518
Also some kind of digital ring modulator effect would be awesome with osc 1 as carrier and osc 2 as modulator. And if possible more range on the LFOs to bring them up to audio range (Third Range Setting?)
November 28, 2015 at 7:18 am #3520
- This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by liampower.
Third and final suggestion (for now), is to make the lfo amount adjustable from 255 to -255, similar to what you have done with the envelope. this would mean you could modulate osc 1’s pitch to go up with the lfo as the pitch of osc 2 goes down in phase. Google Attenuverter and you’ll see what I mean.November 29, 2015 at 12:32 pm #3521
Thanks for your suggestions, Liam. I’m not sure when I’ll find time to look at the TB2 code again, but I’ll refer to these again when I do.December 7, 2015 at 7:15 am #3528
Hi Moshang, I guess you are hard at work on the VR sequencer, which looks fantastic by the way! If you had some time could you point me in the direction of some tutorials on how to modify the synth part of the TB2 firmware? That way if I wanted to add an oscillator/envelope I could do so myself. Would it simply be a case of copying certain parts of the code, LFO becomes LFO2 for instance? Just wondering what the capabilities for expansion of the firmware are without slowing down the code too much. I think I found the synth example you used on RCArduino.com, but as far as the envelope is concerned, where did you get that from?
LiamDecember 9, 2015 at 11:18 pm #3529
Yup, Lyra and related VR projects are taking up all of my free time at the moment. Problem is that I’m doing all of that alongside a full-time teaching dayjob. The plan is for the VR stuff to replace teaching as my dayjob and then I’ll theoretically have time to dedicate to coding Groovesizers and making music again. It’s kinda tough in the transition phase though.
The LFO and envelope are ones I rolled myself, so I can’t really point you at example code, except to say that you can look at how I went about it in the TB2’s code. It’s also been many months since I worked on this stuff, so I don’t remember offhand myself and unfortunately I don’t have the time to re-familiarize myself with it right now.
Sorry for the unsatisfactory answer – I have a week-long break coming up at the start of February and I intend to make as many improvements to the TB2 code as I can fit into that week.January 5, 2016 at 10:38 am #3538
Hi Moshang, I have uploaded an alternative firmware to the forum implementing a few of the features I was talking about here, it is buggy and I am no expert coder but hopefully if you take a look you can see where I am coming from. Added quite a few features to it!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.